Rewire and Partial Rewiring
Taking the plunge to hire an electrician to rewire your home or property is a serious business that can throw up all sorts of problems.
Why would you consider to rewire your home or property?
- Safety worries and concerns
- Tired or obsolete components of existing installation: wiring, faceplates and outlets
- Insufficient number of socket outlets, lighting points and other services
- Sale of a property- to increase its value
- Just moved in and intend to renovate or refurbish the property
- Dirt and mess
- Noise: including drilling, hammering and sawing
- Loss of electrical services including the lighting for periods
- Dust and airborne particles
- Damage to the existing décor
To avoid living with these problems the best situation is for the property to be vacant, which is why it is advisable to rewire your property before you move in. It is also easier for your electrical contractor to work in a vacant property, so you could negotiate for a reduced price.
At other times the tenant or occupier will arrange to move out for the period of the rewire, although if rented property is utilised then this will add to the final cost of the project.
If you can trust your electrical contractors and your do not need to be around while the work is being completed, then you could always consider going on holiday for the expected period, although this has its own problems including;
- The work not being installed as specified
- If complications are encountered you are not present to oversee and negotiate the solution.
Once you have decided to re-wire or modify your electrical installation you need to consider over a good design for the project.
It is always inconvenient, and more expensive to add items after the rewire is nearly or fully completed, both from the electrical and renovation point of view.
Things to consider in designing of your new electrical system:
- Positions of socket outlets, lighting and switching points
- Sufficient numbers of socket outlets for the number of devices
- Sufficient lighting for the area
- The control of lighting through dimmer switches and automated lighting systems.
- Where TV’s are to be installed make sure there is a connection to an aerial, to satellite services and possibly a network connection or telephone point.
- Telephone points especially if your satellite provider requires for their box to be connected via a telephone line.
- Whether you want to control all of your lighting from a central point or to have programmed lighting.
- Any fire alarm system, including smoke and heat detectors.
- Burglar alarm of intruder detection systems.
- Any electric heating if you cannot get gas central heating installed, but also including under floor heating (a nice touch when getting out of the bath or shower or any other area where you are likely to walk around bare foot.
- The control wiring for a gas central heating system, including; thermostats & time clocks.
- Hot water and electric showers
- Cooking facilities
Now, that you have a better idea whether you want to take the plunge and consider having your home or property rewired, give us a call. We can give you further advice tailored to your needs and requirements.